Visitors to the Walla Faces Vineyard have almost certainly met Angel, Rick and Debbie’s bubbly and lovable 6-year-old shih tzu. As the most good-humored member of the Walla Faces team, she has fully embraced her role as winery dog.
Angel was adopted as 6-week-old puppy by her original owner. When her owner sadly passed on last year, Debbie’s close friend began to spread the word about the vivacious animal. “Shirley posted about her on Facebook and in twenty minutes she was my dog,” Debbie laughed. In July 2012, she joined another winery dog, Red, an elderly greyhound rescue, who passed away in January.
Even beyond her wonderful personality, Angel epitomizes what it means to be a winery dog in at least ten ways.
10 Ways You Know You Have a Winery Dog
- Her favorite chew toy isn’t available at the pet store– it’s a wine cork from your favorite bottle of wine!
- You trust her not to knock over an open bottle of Riesling.
- She gets her exercise running up and down rows of grape vines.
- If you spill a few drops of Cabernet, she’s always there to lick up the mess.
- Since dogs have 20 times more scent receptors than humans do, she can smell your wine better than a master sommelier.
- She loves resting under the shade of an oak barrel.
- She’s even more loyal than a wine club member.
- She sits in front of the door at the tasting room, eager to greet any customers.
- She has you worried about what pairs best with her kibble.
- She loves the terroir so much that her fur is completely covered in it!